Work

Do your children work? Well, I guess I’ll have to answer that question with a question: Do they eat? LOL. Thus, the answer to your initial question has been found. 2 Thessalonians 3:10 reads, “For even when we were with you, we commanded you this: If anyone will not work, neither shall he eat.” Also, Proverbs 19:15 reads, “Slothfulness casts into a deep sleep. The idle soul shall suffer hunger.”
It is not only essential to survival on planet earth that our children begin an early appreciation for work, but also it will assist in their future contentment if they realize that working is a part of life that cannot be avoided. Therefore, we must find joy in our work. Each one must embrace what he/she is called to do in a day, and find joy in those assignments.

Rewards are great. I like to reward my children. It blesses me more than it blesses them. However, it should not be the sole motivation for completion of work. Your parents do not “owe you one” if you have made your own bed. Umm, didn’t you sleep in it? So, why should I pay you for cleaning up the bedclothes and items you slept within? Further, should I have to pay you for cleaning dishes that you also partook meals from? That doesn’t even make any sense. If you eat from a dish, you should also feel joy in the ability to contribute towards cleaning the dish. It is a no-brainer. I’ll ruin my children’s idea of work if I only set them up to do the chores in order to get the reward. What happens when they have their own homes? I’m not coming over with a crisp $50 bill whenever my son plunges his own toilets. That’s insanity. So, there’s no need in even setting them up to think that work will not be an expected part of their future.

One thing that I really enjoy with my children is playtime. We work hard, then, we play hard! Yes, our God is the God of celebration, joy, and happiness. We are instructed to “Rejoice in the Lord always; and again I say rejoice” (Phillippians 4:4). God is also famous for initiating all of the celebrations and festivals of the Old Testament. He is amazingly fun to fellowship with! So, why should I be a drag for my kids – God’s not a drag for His. So, we have a good time. We tell jokes, dance, run (eh hem, I kinda do a jog/waddle right now…but anyway…) and have a blast. So, just because I enforce order does not mean that we cannot let our hair down and have some fun. It is just really good for our kids to know the difference between the times: playtime or working time.

So, yes, having a good work ethic is essential. I loved reading this book to my children years ago: Created for Work by Bob Schultz. The cover says that they are “practical insights for young men”, however, I used it with my boys and girls, alike.

I hope you and yours have a good time in your work. Just don’t forget to play! If you feel tired, rest. If you feel bored with your project, switch. If you need an “off day” (or an “off week”) GO FOR IT! There’s grace for you everyday, in the Lord Jesus. Just don’t forget that having completed our projects, there is a huge sense of satisfaction…ahhh, like our Lord God on the seventh day. He rested.

Still learning…



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Updating

Crockpot